Thursday, July 26, 2012

MEFY...Thursday Craft and Chat

     Hi everyone today is the craft and chat segment  over at MEFY   and it is my turn to share my crafty  tip  with you.
    I love adding embossed images to my cards, but if your like me you don't have alot of money to spend on all of the awesome embossing folders they have.

       So, I have a money saving tip for you!! I am going to show you how to make your own embossing folder out of things you already have at home :)
  

First just grab any kind of chipboard you have laying around (pizza box, cereal box, etc.)
Then, take one of the cuttlebug folders and trace it onto the box. Or just make a 4.25x 11 rectangle, and cut it out..

I then scored it at 5 1/2 ".
After that I took my gypsy and picked out a duck border that I thought was cute :P
If you don't have a gypsy you can use any kind of die cutting machine to cut out a shape or just trace a border or random shapes(like stars or circles etc) onto the chipboard and then use your  craft knife or scissors to cut them out :) 
Once the shapes are cut out I put glue onto the shapes while it was still on my cricut mat and then folded the top onto the cut out shapes and applied pressure until  the glue was dry.
Next, lift the top up and you have your image to emboss on the top, with the opening on the bottom of the folder. I have it flipped over on this picture to show you the image that is glued to the chipboard.
When I put it through my embossing machine I used a cuttlebug folder and another piece of chipboard to give it some thickness, because it is pretty thin by itself.
Here is the cardstock after I embossed it...


How cool is that!! Now I can make any kind of embossed image to coordinate with my main image on my card and for practically nothing...just things I have around the house ( I am kind of a pack rat hehe..I am always saving my pizza boxes, and cereal boxes :)
 Okay, now on to the finished card
I tried to angle it so you could see the image....
(if you click on the picture you will be able to see the embossing on it better:)


I added the duck from  Wall decor and More a border strip from MS under the embossed image that I made and then added a bow and the sentiment and my card is complete.
I hope I have encouraged you to try making your own custom embossing folders. I know that I am going to make several more.
(:(:Smiles:):)










7 comments:

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great card! Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Karon said...

Such a fabulous idea - what settings did you have on your cricut to cut the cereal box? I can't wait to give this a try, its limitless:- Love your card too. TFS

http://karonskraftykorner.blogspot.ca/

Robin said...

Karon, I believe it was blade set on 5, pressure 5 and speed at 3. I did a multi cut on it. Have FUN!! :) can't wait to see what you make.

Karon said...

Thanks Robin, will definitely give it a go:-)

Mommy's Crafty Creations said...

Super cute card!! Thank for sharing your tip. I hope I could give it a try lol

Veronica (follower)
mommyscraftycreations.blogpsot.com
mommyscraftycreations at gmail dot com

Yoshiras time to craft said...

Wow you have been busy with posting.love the tute.I have always wanted to do my own embossing folders.Love the card and embossing.I have this cart and have never used it.

Georgiana said...

Super pretty and thanks for sharing that embossing technique.

Georgiana
Carson's Creations